DOMESTIC STAFF INSURANCE IN PORTUGAL - INCLUDING LIABILITY
GET THE BEST DOMESTIC STAFF INSURANCE COVER IN PORTUGAL.
PROTECTING YOURSELF WITH DOMESTIC STAFF INSURANCE IN PORTUGAL.
Hiring domestic staff from an agency should provide you with the necessary insurance cover, for the domestic staff, as part of the contract. However, if you are electing to hire a person of your choice and not through a domestic employment agency, you would be wise to protect your interests, as well as the domestic staffs interests by taking out a very affordable Domestic staff insurance in Portugal-
AFFORDABLE DOMESTIC STAFF INSURANCE IN PORTUGAL FOR EXPATS.
Many Expats that live in Portugal may run businesses, do a lot of entertaining or have a large property to maintain. With the wage structure in Portugal still at very low levels, many Expats do employ directly or indirectly, domestic staff, gardeners and maintenance staff to maintain their property or business premises.
It is important to remember that even if you employ domestic staff, they should always be on a contract, even if it is only for very short periods as this does provide the Employee, you, some protection as well as providing statutory rights to the employee.
It is common for Domestic staff in Portugal to be illegally employed and paid cash so that these payments are not taxed or declared. This can lead to very heavy fines if you are caught. If the Employee were to have an accident on your premises during working times, then you would be responsible for any costs relating to medical expenses, ambulances etc, and the likelihood is that this would then get reported to the authorities.
DECLARING WORKERS IN PORTUGAL.
It is compulsory in Portugal to declare any Care Worker, house keeper, gardener or paid assistance to the competent authority, which is usually free of charge to administer and then protects you from liability if you have insurance in place. Even if there is no written employment contract, you are legally obliged to take out employee compensation insurance to protect your domestic staff.
HOW MUCH DOES DOMESTIC STAFF INSURANCE COST?
Not nearly as much as you think. For example, a person employed for 8 hours a week on €6.00 an hour would cost you less than €60.00 a year to provide insurance. The cover is quite extensive and is great value for money and peace of mind. It also provides the domestic Employee with confidence that you are trying to take care of their interests.
WHAT DOES DOMESTIC STAFF INSURANCE COVER?
WHERE ARE YOU COVERED FOR WITH DOMESTIC STAFF INSURANCE?
Accidents at work that occur in Portugal and abroad are covered, where the injured parties are Portuguese workers or foreign workers resident in Portugal and in the employ of a Portuguese company, unless the legislation of the State in which the accident occurs entitles them to reparations, in which case the employee may opt for either one of the coverage schemes.
THE BENEFITS OF DOMESTIC STAFF INSURANCE.
Once contracted, an employee compensation Insurance in Portugal should cover your domestic employee, if they should have an accident while at work or while traveling to or from their home, any legal stipulated expenses, compensations or pensions that are due, will become the responsibility of the Insurance Company.
In the event of an accident or illness, the insurance company will provide assistance for the replacement of domestic staff.
They, the Insurance Company, will take care of any accident related expenses for which you may be deemed liable. These can include :-
1. Medical and surgical assistance, diagnosis and treatments that are necessary, as well as home visits.
2. Medicinal and Pharmaceutical assistance.
3. Nursing Car.
4. Hospitalisation and Spa treatments.
6. Transport for observation, treatment or appearance at judicial proceedings.
7. Provision of technical support and other technical devices designed to compensate for functional limitations, as well as the replacement or repair of the same.
8. Rehabilitation and professional and social reintegration services, including adaptation of a workstation.
9. Medical and functional rehabilitation for an active lifestyle.
10. Psychotherapeutic support for the injured persons family, where necessary.
11. Psychological and psychiatric assistance for the injured person and their family, when adjudged necessary by the attending physician.
CASH BENEFITS TO THE DOMESTIC STAFF INSURANCE
1. Compensation for temporary inability to work.
2. Provisional pension.
3. Lump sum compensation and pension for permanent disability to work.
4. Allowance for significant Permanent Disability.
5. Death Allowance.
6. Funeral Expenses Allowance
7. Pension through death.
8. Supplementary provision for Third Person Assistance.
9. Allowance for readaptation of the Home.
10. Allowance for attending any necessary Professional Rehabilitation courses or activities, where these are necessary and appropriate to the reintegration of the injured party into the labour market.
11. Domestic service staff assistance, laundry services, child minding,cleaning services, telephone medical advice.
CONSIDERATIONS OF A DOMESTIC HELP INSURANCE POLICY IN PORTUGAL.
As you can see from the briefly mentioned insurance cover above, the cover is quite comprehensive and very affordable. Accidents at work or in the homeplace can occur and we highly recommend that you adhere to all Portuguese laws regarding the employment of Domestic or maintenance staff. Remember, if you don't have a written contract, and the position is only temporary or part time, in the event of a dispute, the Portuguese law will consider that the employee has a permanent contract. So do your due diligence and have a written agreement with the employee and subscribe to a Domestic help Insurance Compensation Policy and protect yourself from being sued in the future.
All information is correct at the time of going to press, but some items may change over the course of time, so we always recommend that you contact us for any updates, or possible changes, or if you just need advice and an up to date quote. We are happy to provide all information and quotes free of charge and we will not hassle you or make you feel obligated to take out any insurance policy.
Copyright Plegasus Europe S.L Updated January 2nd 2021.